This privately owned Company is the best known developer of innovative solutions for high temperature applications. Founded in 1944, they have established a reputation as the leading source of problem-solving solutions for industries that require high temperature and high performance electrical wire and cable. The products that they offer for industrial applications reflect their knowledge of materials, processing technologies and manufacturing skill. They serve a wide variety of markets including: Consumer, Industrial, Commercial, and Aerospace & Defense. Their focus on research, development, and outstanding engineering keeps their customers high competitive in an ever-changing global market.
Lead and assume full responsibility for all functional and budgetary activities of the Corporate Product Engineering and R&D Departments. Will serve as primary representative in all external forums involving technical curriculum or industry trade matters.
In addition to general overall responsibility of the Engineering functions relative to R&D, design and technical support, this position will have responsibility to represent the organization with key customer interface as required for sourcing new product needs, and at technical committee forums involving agency matters that are critical to the business markets.
- Lead and direct all aspects of the Product Engineering and R&D functions to include:
- Expand, through project management leadership, timely new product offerings to increase market positions and expand sales and profits to meet Sales/Marketing objectives as identified in the Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Insure the Corporate Change Management practices are maintained and operating on a timely basis to control and document design and manufacturing process changes.
- Attend key industry trade conferences to stay abreast of competitive products and leading technologies for materials and design opportunities
- In conjunction with Sales/Marketing, visit routinely with key customers, and new potential accounts, to identify new product needs and provide solutions to problems through product development
- Be willing to represent the Company on various technical sub-committee activities at UL, CSA, NEMA, etc.
- Be willing to develop trade articles, or provide “white-paper” presentations at applicable industry conferences relative to technologies and advancements to state-of-the-art designs and/or materials
- Develop and foster professional relationships with key industry members at both compliance agencies as well as other wire companies
- Prepare development project timelines and activity reports as required by President, CEO
- In conjunction with Product Engineering Manager, identify new Product and Product R&D Engineers for hire to support product growth identified in Engineering Ops Planning.
- Participate in the Corporate Strategic Planning process
- Identify and coordinate outside training activities pertinent to the continued education of Engineering staff
- Prepare and present annual budgetary plan as required for Product Engineering and R&D department activities.
- Represent Engineering in weekly Staff Meetings, monthly sales and planning meetings. Also be prepared to present to Corporate Board Meetings updates and project status plans as required.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Materials Science, Engineering or equivalent technical curriculum.
- Minimum of 10-years relative experience in a technical management function in an industrial environment
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Must function well in a team environment
- Leadership, coaching and mentoring skills
- Willing to travel up to 25% to 30% of time or as required to promote new business growth and identify new product development opportunities
- Comprehensive understanding of personal computers in Windows environment including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word). SyteLine business software knowledge is a plus
Other desired qualities:
- ISO 9000 working knowledge and practices
- Familiarity of TQM methods and principles
- Working knowledge of DOE (Design of Experiments) practices for problem solving
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, Six –Sigma problem-solving tools and practices, FMEA and Value Stream Mapping activities
- Familiar with UL, CSA, IEC, IEEE, NFPA, NEMA and other related agency requirements
- Member of relative professional organizations
Decisions required in this position:
- Ability to manage priorities, as established by executive management team, regarding engineering projects and activities
- Timely assessment and resolution of bottlenecks or problems related to departmental issues in team forum
- Evaluation of reporting staff, and determination of additional new hires within the Engineering departments as well as within the organization as a whole.
Reporting to in this position:
- (3) Engineers (mix of R&D and Product Development roles)
- Engineering Tech