– Always put the professional and emotional needs of your people before your own.
– Get to know someone first as an employee, then as a person, then as an employee.
– Never take credit for something if you can give credit to someone else.
– Defend your people from those who would do them harm.
– Be genuine and authentic in everything you say and do.
– Humor is healthy. Laugh with your people and at yourself.
– Share your professional and personal vulnerabilities…it makes you human.
– Be as transparent as possible about everything going on in the business.
Fourteen years ago, I was advised to write down, in my own words, the kind of leader I wanted to be for the employees in my company. While falling short many times, these are the rules I have tried to live by every day since then. This combination of rules is unique to me. I encourage you to craft a set that is uniquely your own.
Be intentional about it…
Leave a Reply